Science in the City Festival: a festival that uses the arts to engage visitors and make science interesting, fun and easily comprehensible (for particular theories, experiments and/or concepts). Various academics, institutions and NGOs are given the opportunity to communicate their work in a creative way whilst working alongside artists. Science in the City is a yearly festival that happens in Valletta, the capital city of Malta.
- Adult citizens
- Children 7-12
You can do it with all those groups, but we did it with professionals from different fields like public engagement or the cultural and creative sector.
Festivals can easily attract large audiences that would normally not engage with science events. The activities are so varied and numerous so that different publics are engaged, in particular local families with children.
- Identify stakeholders and partners
- Think about a venue and date (how many days, or one evening?)
- Create application for interested academics and researchers to apply with their exhibition/performance/stand/show idea
- Identify appropriate funds to apply for
- Decide on a theme
- Consider logistics, materials, etc.
- Create a marketing/promotional plan
Think about how people will move around the space, where the bathrooms are going to be located and signs that help people navigate around the festival.