PlayDecide is an 1-2 hours discussion-game specifically devised to encourage an exchange of opinions in a simple but effective way on controversial scientifical and technological topics which are also extremely relevant at present.
The main purpose of this activity is to spread participative methodologies, encourage the circulation of experiences and knowledge, and eventually develop a broad scientific culture within a local community.
A game of PlayDecide aims to bring groups of people together to come up with solutions to problems, define strategies and policies and, above all, convey the ideas and opinions developed in the game to authorities who have decision-making powers within that particular field.
- Adult citizens
You can do it with all those groups, but we did it with professionals from different fields like public engagement or the cultural and creative sector.
PlayDecide is an excellent teaching method and can be a very effective tool for engaging secondary school students, as this practice can help adolescent students to learn how to share opinions and take an active part in a discussion.
Participating in a PlayDecide game allows people to respond intuitively to the information presented and, through the resulting discussions, explore their own reasoning and the values behind their choices
With the help of the associated cards used in the PlayDecide, students can use these tools to build up their argumentations, so as to enter the discussion fully prepared and to make sure they are not sharing weak opinions, prejudice, preconceptions or are arguing a point based on only hearsay.
- Getting familiar with the game and pick one topic- Choose from a variety of games coving a range of different topics, all with unique playing cards and stories.
- Sign in or register in order to download the game cards and pdf that contains both detailed instructions and material to be printed
- Settle a date and venue to play
- Promote your event if necessary
- Talk with stakeholders who could attend and hear the outcomes that the players produced throughout the game.
- playdecide.eu is an online platform that offers this activity and its developments.
PlayDecide was originally created as part of the EU-funded project Decide (2004-2007), coordinated by Ecsite, the European network of science centres and museums. The game took inspiration from a card game called “Democs”, developed by the New Economics Foundation between 2001 and 2003.