MonuMAI is a citizen science project organized by Fundación Descubre and the University of Granada that offers the opportunity to get closer to the artistic heritage, combining art, mathematics, artificial intelligence and social communication of science. It was launched as pilot experience in the framework of the European Researchers’ Night in Andalusia.
Our aim, with the citizen-participants, is to train the algorithm and to teach it to identify these architectural styles from an image.
In addition, we will discover if there is a trend to prefer a proportion over others; we will investigate together about the mathematical secret of the beauty in our monuments.
The project has a multidisciplinary team of experts in Mathematics, Art, Artificial Intelligence, Citizen Science and Social Communication of Science for its promotion and coordination.
Producing knowledge, based on the scientific method, to solve a problem or improve a situation that concerns the citizens, and doing it from, for and with society. That is how we understand Citizen Science at MonuMAI.
With this alliance, society poses new questions, provides experimental data that can develop new tools for researchers and contributes to the creation of a new scientific culture.
Citizens, while adding value to scientists, understand their work in depth. In addition, this experience contributes to improve their culture and therefore facilitates the use of scientific knowledge in their daily decision-making process, increasing their capacity for social participation.
Adult Citizens, Families, Children 7-12, Teenagers
Preparation (main steps)
- Decide on where and with whom you want to run the experiment (contact with the educational community, photography, maths and heritage associations, etc)
- Prepare some promotional material
- Train the algorithm to start recognizing new architectural styles
- Communicate to everyone that they have to download the MonuMAI app that interacts with the user to upload new data, looking for an active and collaborative component of the new typology of projects known as citizen science projects.
- Upload images and wait to be analysed by the system. The app MonuMAI has as strength the Artificial Intelligence, and recognizes automatically architectural styles present in the images that are synchronized with the system. The techniques used (Deep Learning) will allow the system to be autonomous and improve with use.
- The photo will be added to the data base to be used in the project by researchers.
- Promote the experiment on mass media and social networks.
Examples or inspirations (videos, links)
Name of the Institution or person suggesting/Offering the activity
Fundación Descubre and the University of Granada